Election Day, HRC Loses - 24 Days Til I Go Back To Work
Today, we voted and tonight we will know who the next president will be.
Today Lindsay returned from Virginia without her baby, so we planned a reunion lunch with the girls in west Philadelphia. In the morning, Lily woke up at 6 AM and took another nap at 7:30.
Our friend Lindsay recently got engaged and I thought about it a lot this morning as I was getting ready for our day. It reminded me about a time when Alex his and my relationship was simply about us. as working adults, we have always had the luxury of time and resources to spend our time together any way we pleased. We could shop, eat, travel, entertain and do it all together , apart or with friends. When we got engaged our universes merged in a beautiful and fun way that I fear might only be available in our youth. I see couples holding hands and kissing in the streets and regard them with nostalgia as though we are so old. Even though we are barely beyond that stage, it seems so far away and innocent and romantic. Delicate, even.
Lilly and I went to the senior center to vote, her first election. I selected our choices and she pushed the "vote" button with her right foot.
We walked to Shereen's house, then to her voting place, then all the way to West Philly. We crossed over the South Street bridge and the river. It was a beautiful sunny day. Warm. Lilly seemed to enjoy the weather. We ate lunch outside of the Perelman building for 2 1/2 hours together. We fawned over the engagement ring and photos. It was a very nice afternoon.
Once the girls went back to work, Shareen, Lyndsay, and I walked back over the bridge. At Shereen's, she and I watched a bunch of YouTube videos to kill the time. We reminisced about the Obama years and talked about how we have and would like to continue to serve our respective communities. Then she drove me home. When she was pulling up to the house, we both noted that, at 6:30 PM, neither of our husbands were home and, when we worked full-time before having babies, we would not be home at this hour either. It made us wonder how lonely or boring it might be to be a full-time stay-at-home mom. Although, I'm sure we would find many many things to fill our days. Especially if we had more than one baby.
I realized that we didn't have dinner plans so I heated up some frozen homemade bolognese and fresh pasta. Alex brought me a beer and we sat down to watch election coverage around 8. It was getting scary around 10. Then Florida and North Carolina were red. Then they kept saying HRC needed this state AND that state AND another state to get the electoral votes. But Trump only needed this state OR that state. Pennsylvania was a huge swing this election. And it went red. So red. Only 3 counties looked blue. Devastating. So we decided we had to stay up to make sure.... nope.... Donald Trump won after all.
Today Lindsay returned from Virginia without her baby, so we planned a reunion lunch with the girls in west Philadelphia. In the morning, Lily woke up at 6 AM and took another nap at 7:30.
Our friend Lindsay recently got engaged and I thought about it a lot this morning as I was getting ready for our day. It reminded me about a time when Alex his and my relationship was simply about us. as working adults, we have always had the luxury of time and resources to spend our time together any way we pleased. We could shop, eat, travel, entertain and do it all together , apart or with friends. When we got engaged our universes merged in a beautiful and fun way that I fear might only be available in our youth. I see couples holding hands and kissing in the streets and regard them with nostalgia as though we are so old. Even though we are barely beyond that stage, it seems so far away and innocent and romantic. Delicate, even.
Lilly and I went to the senior center to vote, her first election. I selected our choices and she pushed the "vote" button with her right foot.
We walked to Shereen's house, then to her voting place, then all the way to West Philly. We crossed over the South Street bridge and the river. It was a beautiful sunny day. Warm. Lilly seemed to enjoy the weather. We ate lunch outside of the Perelman building for 2 1/2 hours together. We fawned over the engagement ring and photos. It was a very nice afternoon.
Once the girls went back to work, Shareen, Lyndsay, and I walked back over the bridge. At Shereen's, she and I watched a bunch of YouTube videos to kill the time. We reminisced about the Obama years and talked about how we have and would like to continue to serve our respective communities. Then she drove me home. When she was pulling up to the house, we both noted that, at 6:30 PM, neither of our husbands were home and, when we worked full-time before having babies, we would not be home at this hour either. It made us wonder how lonely or boring it might be to be a full-time stay-at-home mom. Although, I'm sure we would find many many things to fill our days. Especially if we had more than one baby.
I realized that we didn't have dinner plans so I heated up some frozen homemade bolognese and fresh pasta. Alex brought me a beer and we sat down to watch election coverage around 8. It was getting scary around 10. Then Florida and North Carolina were red. Then they kept saying HRC needed this state AND that state AND another state to get the electoral votes. But Trump only needed this state OR that state. Pennsylvania was a huge swing this election. And it went red. So red. Only 3 counties looked blue. Devastating. So we decided we had to stay up to make sure.... nope.... Donald Trump won after all.
Comments