Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

January 8, 2008

There seems to be a lot of walking in Tokyo, and everyone does it very briskly and silently. Waves of people spill out onto the streets from the subway exits, and know exactly where they are going.

Most people are wearing dark colored pants and shoes, and a nice wool coat, and carry a briefcase. The women are wearing heels and skirts, and make the walking look effortless. As I had been warned, I truly stand out in my jeans and sneakers. But, since the cobbler in South Center Mall in Seattle closed early and unannounced before I could pick up my re-heeled and re-soled boots, I'll be in sneakers until I hit some shopping in Roppongi.


This morning I got up pretty early
and went in search of an American-style breakfast - eggs sounded so good. I gathered all my maps and wandered North from the hotel. I crossed a few small rivers and ended up in an area full of business buildings. I had passed a lot of noodle houses, and was happy to see a Tully's Coffee with an English menu written on a chalkboard on the sidewalk. When I walked in, of course, the staff spoke about as much English as I speak Japanese. So I pointed to my breakfast of choice (for JPY 430) and started planning my walk to the campus while I waited for the food. In spite of Travis and Steve's efforts to make me a better navigator, I never got to campus. Instead of following my plan for the day (registering on campus), I saw something pretty on the map and went towards that instead (how typical).

From Tully's, I caught a glimpse of the Tower, and thought it would be worth the trip, even if I got lost along the way. As I got closer to Tokyo Tower, I finally began to orient myself on my street map, and was beginning to feel more comfortable with the area.

Walking in Tokyo feels lonely because everyone walks silently. But it helps to have gorgeous weather (a little warmer than 50 degrees today and very sunny). I sipped my bottled green tea and stopped here and there to take pictures and mark locations on my map.

Tokyo Tower is surrounded by a few small temples and parks. Inside the Visitor Center were many strange attractions, including the Cafe Thank (a lounge with a huge TV), the Tokyo Tower Aquarium, a Guinness World Record Museum, and a Wax Museum. I did not see any of these, since you have to pay (none seemed worth the measly JPY 400, a little less than $4, at least not alone). Maybe a few friends and I will revisit the Observation Deck for pictures at some point.



I sat in a park and watched three older men smoking cigarettes, while six teenage boys
did calisthenics in matching jumpsuits. For lunch, I got worried about my poor Japanese language skills again, and nervously sought out the least intimidating-looking eating establishment. At a sushi place, I walked out when there was no English menu available ("no Eigo menu"). I walked past one of the many restaurants where you order the food outside via a ticket vending machine; you press the selection and pay; then walk in and hand the cook your ticket for your food. That seemed a good possible option, since I could still order by the photos of the food even if I couldn't read the symbols that named them.

Most restaurants have photos and prices displayed very clearly outside. Instead, I ended up in Rhythms Indian Restaurant on a small side street, and had potato and eggplant curry, served by an English-, Hindi-, and Japanese-speaking Indian staff. After lunch, I was exhausted from all my walking, and was proud of myself for knowing exactly how to get back to the hotel using the map. My luggage was delivered today and now takes up most of the free space in my tiny room, but it's good to have fresh pajamas, which I forgot to pack in my short-term luggage, and my new electric toothbrush, which Joe gave me for Christmas (thanks, Joe!).

I'm still trying to overcome the time change - it's 4:30 in the afternoon (2:27 AM Philly time), and I'm fighting the urge to nap, hoping that my friend John and I can go to dinner around 7, and get to bed for Orientation at school tomorrow.

Comments

Unknown said…
I can't seem to find you in the mass crowd. Its like trying to find Waldo. BD
LicCARPILAGO said…
with that tommy lee's image i remember that comercial movie "Lost in translation" .

if you go to a restaurant where they don't have menu in english... you dont´t ask anything even if in the menu there are some pictures. saying something like: i want one of this(pointing the picture).?

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Tiffany Weddings and Camels