Baby's First Halloween - 32 Days Left

Happy Halloween!

It's Lilly first Halloween! We had the great idea of being a Star Trek family - Alex and I got Star Trek captain's uniforms (red) and Lilly got a science officer onesie (blue). Yesterday was 74 degrees; today it was 50 and windy (Philly weather is bizarre this time of year). Lilly and I lingered in bed until 10:30 this morning. I dressed her in a black skeleton outfit and some hot pink monster slippers to keep her feet warm (no particular costume theme there, haha).

I will be going to visit Nicholete for a long weekend in 2 weeks.  I have been trying to decide how to travel with my little noisy monkey - K'Tan wrap, Solly Wrap, car seat and stroller, Ergo... So, I did a ton of reading and research. I don't think I will be able to carry the car seat and stroller down the jetway along with the baby and a carry on. This leaves the various kinds of baby carriers, which would mean I have to wear her, wear the carry on, and then sit with her in the seat during the flight in the carrier (or on my lap).

So, I thought today would be a good day to carry her around for 4 hours as practice. I used the K'tan. She fell asleep on the way to D's apartment in the K'tan.  Then we walked a couple blocks over to the new Old Navy and I made the mistake of taking her out of the carrier!! I used to know better than that, but it had been a while since I used the carrier for such a long period. She proceeded to cry - loudly and really hard - for about 40 minutes in the Old Navy dressing room area while I [didn't] try on any clothes.  Shereen came to meet us and said she was able to locate us in the huge store just by following the sound of Lilly's cry.. Whoops... But the customers and employees were super nice about it.  As soon as I realized she wasn't hungry at all and put her back in the carrier, she fell asleep. (What a neub!)

We each picked up a few things at the Old Navy. Post partum clothes are kind of annoying. It's not the same as your fat jeans / fat clothes - hard to explain. Things fit differently all over for me. In some things I was an XS and in others an M. I picked up mostly button-down and nursing-friendly tops. D picked up stuff for work. Sheeen scored some cute dresses. After a snack and nursing the kids at D's, we got a bunch of beer and headed back to the house for Halloween on Rodman.

The block was already abuzz at 5PM. I quickly got our table set up out front; filled the beer tub with ice and drinks, and spread out our SIX pizzas when they arrived. Alex knew we over-ordered but D, Shereen and I didn't know.It was too late.  D and Alok took the leftover veggie pizza. Alex and I are going to be chipping away at the Works leftovers. We never ended up putting Lilly in her onesie. It was too cold, she was too moody, and she was cute enough in her skeleton outfit and pink fuzzy hoodie.  I feel blessed to have so many people who are willing to join us for a party at our house today! So fun.

I am going to try to jot down a few thoughts each day until I go back to work - 32 days left.

  • Today Lilly did this: Cried and cried, and then would get a little confused and start laughing.  She did this in the morning when she was really hungry after laying down and playing for a while; at D's on the couch, again when she was getting really hungry. At D's, she started giggling like crazy when I kissed her stomach over and over. 
  • I want to remember this about my time off: I loved sleeping in with her until 9:30AM. She's so happy in the morning!
  • Something I learned about parenting: I should pump before bed as Lilly starts to sleep longer, in order not to have to get engorged at night.  I can space out my night pumps over time to avoid them altogether and still not impact my supply.
  • Something I didn't get to do today that I wanted to: Call the Wolfes to ask about their new baby! But Christine and I texted at least.  Also, didn't take Halloween pics to send to Mom. 
  • I spent time with these people today: ALLof the girls, their husbands, babies, Marc and Olivia and Salina and Zayna came to our Halloween party and we hung out with our neighbors outside. D, Shereen, and Salina made Lilly smile today.
  • Something about me and Alex: Alex made me oatmeal in the morning before he left; amazing. Then, he came home from work, hosted the party with me (in uniform and was so fun!), helped me clean up, and got my pumping stuff for me - even though he could have gone to soccer and even though he had work to do (is working now in bed next to me). He says, "Family come first; always." I love him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels