Week 8
The Baby Whisperer book I read categorizes Lilly as a "textbook" baby (sorry to label you so soon, Lilly!). Textbook = Predictable. Fairly easy to handle. Reaches milestones on schedule. Growth spurts
on schedule. Can play alone for short periods from a young age. Smiles
when smiled at. Has normal cranky periods, but easy to calm. Not hard to
get her to sleep. That's our girl.
Between weeks 5 and 6 she had a growth spurt. She was nursing 11 times a day (8 is typical so far for us), having in consolable crying spells and not sleeping well. Needed to be held constantly. At one point I thought she had silent reflux because she would just cry/scream herself awake mid-sleep. But, I think she was just extra-touchy that week. We gave in to her every demand during that time like you're supposed to at this age and we made it through. Talk about high maintenance, though.
She packed on some weight during that time and since then has settled back into her textbook tendencies. One bonus from that hellacious few days: she can sleep for 5 hours at night now! So, we feed her around 9 or 10, and then she's down for the count for 5 precious hours. I am so thrilled.
We are rounding out her second month now and this week - week 8 - has been remarkable to experience in addition to the extra sleep.
And because she is even easier to handle than usual, and because I am adjusting to having her in my routine, we are able to do so much more! This week we:
Between weeks 5 and 6 she had a growth spurt. She was nursing 11 times a day (8 is typical so far for us), having in consolable crying spells and not sleeping well. Needed to be held constantly. At one point I thought she had silent reflux because she would just cry/scream herself awake mid-sleep. But, I think she was just extra-touchy that week. We gave in to her every demand during that time like you're supposed to at this age and we made it through. Talk about high maintenance, though.
She packed on some weight during that time and since then has settled back into her textbook tendencies. One bonus from that hellacious few days: she can sleep for 5 hours at night now! So, we feed her around 9 or 10, and then she's down for the count for 5 precious hours. I am so thrilled.
We are rounding out her second month now and this week - week 8 - has been remarkable to experience in addition to the extra sleep.
- She does a ton of talking - cooing, laughing, saying "hi", gurgling, and many other "language precursors."
- She is smiling big-time, and even seems to be giggling at times. Alex plays a game with her every morning where they point out the different parts of their faces ("Daddy's nose; Lilly's nose. Daddy's cheek; Lilly's cheek.") She thinks he is a genius and that the game is a riot. He gets lots of big smiles.
- She is killing it at tummy time and holding up her head/neck.
- She naps at least once a day in her crib and can "put herself to sleep" in there if I put her down sleepy but not asleep. (But the other couple of naps she still requires some hand-holding - literally. Whatdya gonna do, she's only a baby!)
- She's always been pretty good and patient when she wants attention - like lying there alone, awake, and cooing until we come get her. This week she is doing it for up to 15 minutes! What a sweetheart.
- Most of her newborn clothes don't fit anymore! I'll pack that stuff away and have pulled out her 0-3 months stash. This girl has so much clothes, it reminds me of the movie Clueless when Cher has the outfit coordinator software.
And because she is even easier to handle than usual, and because I am adjusting to having her in my routine, we are able to do so much more! This week we:
- Had a play date at my friend Ana's where Lilly slept and ate happily for 4 hours while Ana and I hung out
- Got an early bath-and-PJ routine before I brought her to meet Alex, Marc and Olivia for dinner on Passyunk at Bing Bing. She was in a loud restaurant for 1.5 hours fast asleep.
- Got an early bath-and-PJ routine and came with me to see the new Mormon temple. I put her in the baby carrier and she slept the entire tour (2 hours). Then, we nursed before heading home and she slept in the car seat and was a happy bundle of baby when we got home to dinner Alex had made.
Comments