Looking Back

Some things I want to remember about being pregnant, in no particular order:

  • At one point they said I wasn't gaining enough weight and told me to go eat milkshakes, which I don't usually eat. I had one and that was enough. I tried to switch to full fat yogurt but they don't even really sell that unless it is plain yogurt.  And I didn't like the almond milk, so I stuck to my soy. I ignored their advice to get fatter faster.  Overall, we were plenty heavy enough: I gained 30 lbs and weighed as much as Alex at the end! Heehee.
  • Favorite foods were cheese (grilled cheese and plain quesadillas), cereal and avocado toast.
  • I used to wake up at 4am to eat - one time I even made pasta in the middle of the night. What?! 
  • I didn't have strong cravings but my food aversions were strong, especially to fish until the last trimester
  • I ate oysters, sushi and even had a glass of wine towards the end of the pregnancy. Neptune Oyster in Boston with Pauline and Jackie changed my life. Best clam chowder ever and luscious oysters. Om nom nom nom.
  • Places baby went before being born: November Miami for Mary and Carlo's wedding, December Cabo San Lucas for Wood and Kayla's gorgeous wedding (both before Zika),  Dec/Jan San Diego for Bang and Jill's New Year's wedding (hiked gorgeous Torrey Pines with Steve Dart), January Austin to visit Kari and go to ZKnight and Whitney's wedding, Boston for the first time with Jackie and Pauline
  • We couldn't go anywhere for a Babymoon because of Zika
  • We used to call the baby Hernando
  • After my first ultrasound on 12/22, Alex went to work and I met Fern for pancakes at Green Eggs and showed her the pics!
  • Our anatomy ultrasound was 3/9; the tech told Alex and he bought me pink tic tacs to tell me it was a girl. We had dinner at Amis. I was so overwhelmed and excited the waiter probably thought we were arguing because I kept crying at dinner...
  • 3/17 - Nicholete and I went to farewell dinner at La Viola and the guy proposed to his fiancĂ©e at the special table in the window. We cried. She moved to OK on 3/19, dad's birthday and the day all the cousins came into town for grandma's birthday. 
  • I had round ligament pain from the start and it lasted the entire pregnancy
  • On 1/7, I told my partner at work that we were pregnant
  • Our due date was 7/19 but things started to pick up July 4th weekend and she was born slightly early on 7/11. At the shore on 7/4, I was sleeping 12 hours a day!
  • Cousin Lisa had her baby boy Bence on the same day! Cousin birthday twins!
  • Pillow forts - By the end, I was sleeping with 6 pillows. I did not like body pillows. 
  • I got a gross chalazion on my right eye in week 36 that is STILL there.
  • Baths - almost every single day (only a half-tub of water to save water)
  • I was soooo swollen in my legs and feet that I had to buy bigger shoes TWICE (ending at a size 8.5 from my normal 6.5)
  • I loved the names Lillian, Anneke, Hannah and Daniella.
  • We made really good friends in our baby class, and I still hang out with them. It felt nice to have formal classes and things to read and people to talk with.  
  • FOMO - even though I had my usual summer FOMO, I was so hot and sleepy the last month, I couldn't think of anything more tempting than a bath, a huge glass of ice water, reruns of LOST and putting my feet up on any given day. Major sloth. 
  • I still walked to work every day until the last 2 weeks (uber). In May (32 weeks) my journal says I walked 8 miles! It also says over and over in those weeks - Belly heavy, feet swollen, so tired. 
  • Hypochondria in the third trimester - I thought my severe hip pain was a sprain, I thought my swollen painful ankles were sprained, I thought my chalazion was a sprain... just kidding on that last one.   
  • One of the many reasons Alex is amazing is because he made me grilled cheese or ramen at 10PM, 11PM and midnight on so many nights when I couldn't decide if I was hungry or not and then finally it would hit me just when he was about to hit the sack. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels