Life with Lilly
And now, for the hard part...
Bring pregnant wasn't great, even though I had a smooth and uneventful pregnancy - no morning sickness, etc. The labor and delivery was obviously not a piece of cake, but it was over in a day. Now, we have this squirmy, squeaky baby that sucks the sleep out of us and she is here to stay. The first couple weeks was a challenge because we were doing a combo of pumping, nursing and bottle feeding, since she wasn't able to nurse well.
After seeing a lactation consultant in week 2, we held off on the frenectomy to see if it was my supply or her being 1.5 weeks early (weak suck muscles). After 2 more weeks of pumping and doing exercises with her on sucking strength, it was clear that my supply was there and still there was no improvement. So, it was her. After a lot of research we went with the frenectomy to clip her tongue tie. For all the fuss I made in my head, it was a 10 second procedure in the doc office and she recovered from it in 3 days. Her sucking strength was a world improved immediately (she nursed well for the first time ever, right after the procedure, in the exam room). Unfortunately, by then, I was already at the end of my rope with pumping and had gotten mastitis. I was in bed with a fever for a day while Alex took care of Lilly, took my antibiotics, and am getting over that just in time for Lilly to start nursing. An upswing.
We're now in week 6 going on week 7. Alex and I finally have a grip on our sleep - we don't get any sleep (for me, 5-6 hours but in 2 hour chunks, sometimes 30 minute intervals), but at least we know how to function without it a lot better than before. Lilly sleeps as much as she is supposed to: 2-3 hours at a time, with waking for feedings. She is basically like clockwork. She cried very intentionally for the first 5 weeks and stopped once her need was fulfilled. Suddenly now, we have a few spells of seemingly senseless crying - food, diaper, snuggles don't cut it.... Just need to wait it out. Tonight, it took about an hour to get her settled enough for sleep. She was more than happy to take the bath, change into pajamas, nurse and hang out before bed, but she would not go down without more crying and wailing.
We are reading a lot about how to manage her needs, but at this point it seems like we just need to give her everything she wants when she wants it because she is un-trainable at the moment. So, we are on-demand. I nurse and feed her during the night (9PM-6AM), Alex takes her while he is getting ready for work (6AM-10AM), and then I have her again all day. Next month, we might be able to see longer periods of sleep during the night. And by months 3 and 4, we can sleep train and get some of our routine back.
I have a long maternity leave but even if you only take the 12 FMLA weeks, it barely gives you time to figure out how to coexist with the baby. I really think that would be tough for me to deal with.
Comments