Doin' the City Thing

So, March and April were pretty eventful.  I moved in with Alex on March 1st.  My last day at E&G was also my third anniversary there -  March 7th. I started at CS on March 11th.  We got engaged on Easter, March 31st. 

Every day I walk to work - about eight blocks, crossing Broad and walking just near Rittenhouse.  At lunch, the associates might get together to walk to the park and eat in the sun.  After work, we sometimes go out for drinks. There are lots of associates here - maybe 25, and they're mostly under 35.  It's a young crowd and everyone is working hard.  Some have been here a while; others less than a year.  I am the newest but not the only one working in construction law for the first time.  I like having a group of young people to work with. 

A lot of people were worried that I might be worked to the bone and drowning in an unhappy big firm lifestyle.  I wasn't really worried about that.  So far, that hasn't been the case. We have billables and I can make a bonus but there isn't any sign of cutthroat, take-over-your-life culture yet.

As for my night life, it has gotten pretty rich.  I have totally been able to take advantage of the joining and participating in Asian American professionals groups and seeing what is out there for me as far as community work.  I get to see my friends frequently, although it is sort of sad to see how my friends group has shifted - all new faces. What happened to everyone? Was it me? Where did they all go, besides San Diego and NYC?

I'm still grateful for the group that's here, though - and I like that I am friends with more women than I have ever been friends with.  I enjoy their company and am comforted that I was either wrong or am no longer correct about women being terrible friends because of cattiness or selfishness.  These ladies are smart, responsible, well-rounded and fun. Go figure.

The City Thing costs a lot, but only if you let it carry you away.  At first, it was like fighting a current, but now, I feel I have it down.  I have occasional splurges but was certainly impressed by my ability to pretty much immediately resist the calling of the shops on Walnut, which I walk past twice, sometimes three times, a day.  And, my office is also across the street from the mall at Liberty Place!

As Alex predicted, I am much more efficient these days - at work, financially, and with my spare time.  Except for the working out thing, which I am ... working out.  On deck for maxing out the city living experience is getting back into a consistent exercise routine that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. . . . although I did love my super expensive 1:1 pilates lessons while they lasted. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels