I'm a rainbow, too ♫ - Meeting Tsiwen Law at an AAPI event
sun is shining ☼ weather is sweet
make you wanna move your dancing feet...
wednesday morning, tell myself a new day is rising
thursday evening, get on the rise a new day is dawning
Hey! It's sunny again! Life is back on. The last few days I have been become a sleep monster - happily retreating to the comfort and joy of my cozy bed as early as 8:00PM (!!) and sleeping as late as 8:00AM. I know!! It's been great!! Fully recharged, tonight I attended an event hosted by the Mayor's Commission on Asian American Affairs.
After walking around and around City Hall, I finally found the Visitor's Entrance and made it to the lecture hall just in time for the opening remarks. I worked in the Complex Litigation Center for all of about four weeks during law school, and had a tough time navigating the place then, too. I am constantly admiring the architectural details, the beautiful old lighting fixtures, the amazing tile work and the ornate banisters... paying not-enough-attention to directions, as usual.
The Commission represented a diverse Asian American group - Laotion, Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, Korean. No Vietnamese, but a large part of the Committee was absent, so maybe there is some representation in the absentees. The event was a joint celebration of Lunar New Year and a salute to Black History Month. The introductory remarks noted that modern struggles for equal representation and rights owe thanks to the African-American struggle, which led the way and inspires by example. We heard a sermon from Reverend Robert Shine, hearkening to Dr. King's famous speech and encouraging cultural communities to merge their resources to motivate progress.
Keynote speaker was Daphne Kwok - the Chair of President Obama's Advisory Commission on Asian American affairs. By day, she works at a non-profit in Oakland which focuses its efforts on AAPI disabilities issues. By night, she jets about the country attending community meetings as a White House representative (and, apparently, giving Lunar New Year speeches). We discussed the recent bullying in Philadelphia high schools, Cambodian deportations, and the role of the youth. "Hurry up," she had said, "we want to retire, so you guys can be the ones up here giving these speeches."
The highlight of the invited guests, for me, was a spoken word duo called Yellow Rage. They performed a joint poem, and two individual poems. Their pieces were fun and full of attitude. They performed "Just Because I'm Asian", "Laos in the House" and "Ancestor Worship", which you can listen to here. The version of "Just Because I'm Asian" tonight was comical and empowering; the one on the website is more poignant, and I prefer it.
I had the pleasure to meet and speak with a founder of APABA-PA and NAPABA - the national and PA Asian American Bar associations - who was in attendance (Wow this is when I first met Tsiwen Law!) I recognized him from the Penn Law Conference I attended two weeks ago, and introduced myself. I was surprised when he looked at my business card and said: "Oh, you're with the Eastburns." He knew the famous and adored Bill Eastburn, and told me about how influential Bill had been on the ABA's position on gun control. Of all the incredulous and endearing stories I have heard, gun control was a new one.
I also connected with a woman working at the Public Health Management Corp., a group I have been eyeing for a while, in line with my public health junkie tendencies. I knew the organization well and enjoyed speaking with her about their business side and their on-the-ground delivery.
All in all, a good experience. Not to mention that the Mayor's Reception Room was absolutely stunning. The walls were covered with oil portraits of mayors and councilmen past. The ceiling coffers were painted in bold blue, white and gold, with elaborate mouldings all along the grid. Each coffer was bordered with exposed, bright bulbs which made the gold chandelier and every detail in the coffers just * sparkle *. The speakers podium stood before a monstrous green granite fireplace. I didn't go to Conversation Hall afterwards for the refreshments, but I remember it being quite a stately space, as well.
I walked home in the frigid air, chatting excitedly to Chi Trinh about my evening. After my two short conversations, I feel empowered to contribute, small as my contribution may be at this point. I also feel motivated to see what other answers the city holds for one of my favorite questions: "Is there anything I can do to help?"
Comments