Christmastime

je ne veux pas travailler
je ne veux pas dejeuner
je veux seulement l'oublier
et puis je fume...


Yes. I'm procrastinating. On a break from preparing a Response to a Motion to Quash Subpoenas, I decided to check in.

Amazing to think that this time a year ago I had barely embarked on Bar Exam prep, and just this Friday I conducted my first due process hearing in special education law, complete with fifteen hours of witness and exhibit preparation.

Without a Winter Break to slow things down, the Holidays went flying by in 2010. Chi Trinh, Travis, and I decided we would make the trek out to Seattle for another four-generation Christmas. Impeccable planning led to a relaxing and leisurely pre-flight lunch in an airport wine bar. Chi Trinh - now five months pregnant with Baby Boy #2 - boarded to First Class, where we hoped she would be more comfortable. Travis, MK, and I got settled into our seats, and I fell asleep waiting for takeoff.

What seemed like hours later, I removed my eye mask and awoke to find out that we were still at PHL due to a defective stabilizer. From my limited flight instruction, I recall that meaning "the tail of the plane." Obviously, not good for the flight plan. We deplaned, sat around, were sent home, and ultimately hopped on another flight Christmas Eve.



As always, the Seattle itinerary involved an enormous amount of food gorging and family time. Jackie and Adrian hosted a wonderful dinner featuring a mouthwatering perfect prime rib roast, four tasty courses and a pear tart.
We exchanged gifts in a frenzy of four generations unwrapping, hugging, and modeling new clothes (including a fashion show of the ao dai Jackie and I custom ordered from Vietnam).


After spending about 36 total hours in Seattle, Travis hopped on his return flight the next morning. On the Other Coast, 20 inches of snow were in the forecast. His flight was rerouted to North Carolina, then canceled. The storm foreclosed options involving alternate airports and travel via train and bus. He spent the night in a local hotel, caught the first flight to PHL in the morning, and even made it into the office.

Chi Trinh and I stayed for a few extra days. The delayed incoming flight condensed our short time in Seattle, and required much rushing around without allowing much rest. Fatigue forced Chi Trinh and I each to sit out a night of family fun: I slept for 12 hours after an epic day of shopping; Chi Trinh missed a riveting evening of Uncle Son, Joe and I yelling answers at the TV during Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy while Di Sau prepared a perfect Vietnamese dinner. After a packed day touring Uncle's shop, visiting his house, and taking MK to a horseback riding lesson - one of Mom's Christmas gifts to MK, she needed her rest for the flight home.

Without delay, we returned to my beloved city. Looking out the window upon descent, the familiar lights below warmed my heart. "I love this city," I said to Chi Trinh. She sighed... "It's good to be home."

Of course I'm glad the snowstorm did not disrupt our travel plans, but I'd be lying if I denied absolutely adoring a good snow day. Someone else (someone very talented) captured my nostalgia for the Storm of December 26, 2010 beautifully...




Man in Blizzard by Jamie Stuart
(filmed in New York)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels