Sleeping outside from now on.

August 14, 2010

Friday night Andrew came over to catch up . . . on the last four years - how do friendships get so neglected? After spending the last 30 days traveling 7,964 miles across America with Matt's (mind blowing and ever-inspiring) Spaces Between Your Fingers 2010 tour, Andrew certainly came with a renewed energy about him. We talked about our most recent relationships, and life in general.

During the time our friendship was on hold, he became an adept musician. As Jenna and I lie on a blanket, staring at the clouds concealing the moon and the Perseid meteor shower, he shared his beautiful original music and his favorites of others. Of note, White Blank Page by Mumford and Sons, which apparently got infinite play during the Spaces roadtrip.

We camped out on the lawn. I cannot do justice to the feeling of waking up to the soft and sustaining embrace of the sun that morning. I can only try to describe it by saying that I woke up under the morning sun that day and, as I slept, the sun's warmth so filled me with happiness that I was stirred from sleep by pure glee. Inspired by this energy, I took Nilly for a run [why did I have Nilly on the farm?], wandered the farmers market downtown, and took care of some work errands. At home, I cleaned for hours, and finally spent some time on a wood restoration project on which I have been procrastinating.

Tim and I headed to John's girlfriend's moving-to-New-Orleans party in Sellersville. I knew it would be an early night because I was going to the beach the next day with the lady-with-the-baby's family, and I wanted to leave the Farm by 7 or 8. We chatted for a long time, and spent some time with the ugliest dog I have ever seen in real life, Gizmo. She was amazingly sweet but, heaven have mercy, that pooch was horridly unsightly. They said Chinese Cresteds are always voted the ugliest dog in the world.

Tim and I came home around midnight and had one of our characteristic hilarious and nourishing talks. This night, we laughed cynically about stoicism and also about people's inability to accept things they deserve. We also noted how entire complex webs of relationships and actions, all possibly compounded by of years of denial, lack of self-reflection, or misunderstanding, somehow lead many of us to relate in some way to the same oversimplified psychological diagnostic taglines, such as, "I need to learn to accept love from others" or "Those things were not my fault".

We all have a little bit of a malfunction, after all. Some of our malfunctions are just more adorable than others. Cue GIR...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels