Cream and Sugar / Mary in Philadelphia

April 25, 2010

The next day, one of Mary's employees called out, so I offered to stay and work for her. I wandered to La Colombe for a two-hour cup of coffee and croissant. I lounged, watching Saturday city commotion. One sight that really struck me was seeing a young woman, beautifully and very pregnant, standing in line for her coffee. In her arm, she cradled a full and vibrant bundle of flowers that reached high over her head. As she walked out of the shop, she seemed so serene, enveloped in Saturday morning sunshine and sipping her coffee with an armful of blooms and a jolly baby bulge.

Everyone around me sat with a book and a coffee. It has been so long since I did leisure reading in a coffee shop (as opposed to law school reading). I listened to my favorite music, pausing it now and then to listen to the clanking of cups and saucers and to appreciate the colorful roar of the patrons. A girl sitting across from me, nearing the end of her book, shyly wiped away tears that wouldn't stop streaming. It made me smile and think of when I would read in the nail salon to pass the time with Mom (after Dad died); how embarrassed I would be to cry in front of my mom over a silly book, even though we had done so much crying together those months.

Alex came to meet me, which made me very happy. Mostly we talked about school and work. I could have sat at that table all day, nursing my coffee and croissant, taking social appointments with my feet up, and tracing the grooves in between the tiles of the table with my fingertips. But I had to meet Mary at 1pm to set up the Open House, so I dragged myself out of there, onto the street, parted with Alex, and got ready for work.

Seven or eight food vendors donated food to the developer's event. We set the food up, staff got in place to serve, and the three piece band warmed up. On the 16th floor, the Phoenix Suite overlooks the city; French doors of the great room open onto Love Park, and the French doors of the bedroom have the PERFECT view of City Hall. I was stationed in the tiny dessert/coffee room, pouring Starbucks for potential condo purchasers, while the charming and pleasant Jared served Trader Joe's opera cake, lemon bars, cream puffs, and macaroons. I was so hung over, I didn't taste a single delicious thing at the event.

I networked a little with a real estate broker, who promised to give me the 411 on the Divine Lorraine some day (my fantasy pet project, after opening a ramen house). The music was perfect, I was in great company, and the day flew by. Steve came for a plate of food, and took off for Termini's (see entry below re: baby Brooklyn, neighborhood newborn superstar). After a nap and long chitchat with Mary and a coworker, I headed to the baby shower, and bed.

Great weekend. Hope to see Mary and Brooklyn again next weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels