Two hens, a law license, and 3.2 miles

April 11, 2010 



After returning from San Diego in March, I immediately began working at the law firm I summered at in 2009. My room at the farmhouse was a bit intimidating, but looking forward to transforming it into a cozy, maybe even chic, space encouraged me greatly. I started out wanting a zesty, loud room with yellow, teal, orange, and fuschia. I ended up with a deep Tuscan rust and a really nice mustard. The natural sunlight coming through the three long windows really brightens the room in the morning, and makes it cozy in the evening. The windows opposite my bed showcase green fields; at night, I can often see the moon through the bare tree limbs. Two doves have made the sloping roof outside my room their basking place.


One night two weeks ago, a rooster could be heard crowing from about 5 am until 11am, sometimes even at 3pm. On a Wednesday, Laura and I found a big, fancy rooster - all white with feathered feet - roosting in the overgrown tree by the shed. When I pulled in after work on Friday, Laura and Carlos were emptying out the shed, and moving its contents to the garbage and the barn. In exchange for the rooster, our neighbor promised two hens. After a wild rooster chase, Woody (named after Woody Harrelson because he had an afro like Bill Murray's crazy combover in the finals in the movie Kingpin) was returned and we got two hens, who would hopefully provide many eggs. The hens, now named Marsala and Parm, got nice new digs - Carlos and Laura made roosting boxes and hung branches and ladders for them. This Saturday, Parm laid two eggs!



The room looks great, the roommates (two teachers, one glass artist, one aspiring children's movie screenwriter, and one office manager/student) are great, and I'm happy there. Steve likes the room, and Nilly loves the farm.

The results for the PA Bar Exam came in on Friday. I passed! It was a really low pass rate (only 56% of candidates were successful), and I barely squeezed by, but I made it. No more studying! At work, there were plenty of much-appreciated congratulatory emails and phone calls. It was wonderful to hear the stories of everyone's receipt of their good news - some stories from long, long ago (before the internet!). Luckily, we can just go to a website and look for our names. Back in the day, there were phone numbers to call (and no call waiting), lines to stand in in City Hall, and just plain waiting for letters in the snail mail.

After work, we went for a few beers in town, and Steve and I did our date night. On Saturday, I met with all my special people at Tria on Rittenhouse Square, ate for hours and hours in the bright hot sun, had a coffie with Geoff, and headed home. I caught up with Kari at a beef and beer, and collapsed into my bed before midnight, excited for my first 5k on Sunday. The run went very well, was extremely enjoyable, and I spent the rest of the day Peace Valley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels