Post-Bar Trip San Diego Zoo

March 4, 2010



Rejuvenated by good sleep and yesterday's extended lounging session, I headed for the zoo before lunchtime. Parking was a cinch, there was no line, and $37 was a bargain for the day that lie ahead.

Just moments after I entered, a peacock approached me. When a woman in a blue track suit walked by, he made a mating display by shaking and dancing, while displaying his beautiful feathers. The feathers brushed my jeans as I walked by him; I was able to snap a few neat photos. (Click on the photo and check out how electric blue the bird is!!)

On the guided bus tour, all the animals were out and practically posing for photos. I moved from a seat on the left side of the bus to the right side at the last minute, which turned out to be the side with the best view of all the exhibits. I didn't take too many pictures but spent a lot of time with the animals today.

I watched hyenas feed, and spent over an hour at the Elephant Odyssey, watching the elephants and even having a lengthy conversation with a zoo keeper about the elephants' distinct personalities, where they came from, and how they interact with the keepers. I watched river otters for a very long time, and enjoyed the hippos sunbathing. I met a Dutch couple, doing 11 days in San Diego, a week in Vegas, and leaving out of Washington, for a birthday/early honeymoon. It was nice to hear some Dutch. I also fell in love instantly with pandas. Again. By the time the zoo was closing, I was only barely ready to leave.

At home, we had amazing thai food for dinner, while watching The Departed. Really a great movie, although it didn't help with the whole nerves thing. Oh well. The crew arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can shake all these nerves by the week's end, so I can have room for all the nerves associated with the new job. Yikes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels