Paul and Cat take NL Day 6
Phew! I kicked Pauline out of Utrecht for the day so I could write my weekly essay for Human Rights and Criminal Law workgroup. She happened to have a business meeting this day, and went to Amsterdam to use her company’s Amsterdam office accommodations (she works for an international real estate corporation, whose signs are all over the NL incidentally).
While she was away, I worked. Hard. I read and read and read, and then wrote and wrote and wrote. Even though the assignments are only 1000 words, they have to be written densely to cover all the information required. This week, we wrote about the importance of the presumption of innocence, and how arrest, detention, and pre-trial proceedings do or do not incorporate the presumption in certain countries as reviewed by the European Court on Human Rights.
After class, Suzanne, Maggie, and Vi and I went to meet Pauline in Amsterdam. We had a girls’ night out, had beers, checked out the Red Light District together, and danced at the Bull Dog cafe until about midnight, when Pauline looked like she was gonna topple over (she had been on her feet all day after the work meeting, exploring the city). We aimed for the 12:17 train and missed it. We wandered around the train station waiting for the 1:17, and got some french fries.
Fries here are served with mayonnaise as a dipping sauce, and usually served in a large paper cone with little plastic forks. Vi got some with mayonnaise. I waited for the mayo part to be eaten so I could get some plain fries, but they pump loads of mayonnaise on each layer of fries (the way you wish they would with popcorn at the movies)!! So, I didn’t eat very many (probably for the better). Then we went in for the 1:17; missed it. Yup, we were miserable – chilly, full of mayo fries, feet hurtin’, and out all day and night. But, it was a great night together.
While she was away, I worked. Hard. I read and read and read, and then wrote and wrote and wrote. Even though the assignments are only 1000 words, they have to be written densely to cover all the information required. This week, we wrote about the importance of the presumption of innocence, and how arrest, detention, and pre-trial proceedings do or do not incorporate the presumption in certain countries as reviewed by the European Court on Human Rights.
After class, Suzanne, Maggie, and Vi and I went to meet Pauline in Amsterdam. We had a girls’ night out, had beers, checked out the Red Light District together, and danced at the Bull Dog cafe until about midnight, when Pauline looked like she was gonna topple over (she had been on her feet all day after the work meeting, exploring the city). We aimed for the 12:17 train and missed it. We wandered around the train station waiting for the 1:17, and got some french fries.
Fries here are served with mayonnaise as a dipping sauce, and usually served in a large paper cone with little plastic forks. Vi got some with mayonnaise. I waited for the mayo part to be eaten so I could get some plain fries, but they pump loads of mayonnaise on each layer of fries (the way you wish they would with popcorn at the movies)!! So, I didn’t eat very many (probably for the better). Then we went in for the 1:17; missed it. Yup, we were miserable – chilly, full of mayo fries, feet hurtin’, and out all day and night. But, it was a great night together.
Comments