Welcome to the Apollo
Dutch word of the day: Dank u ("donk yuu") = thank you; bedankt ("behdonked") = thanks.
News:
My non-stop flight from Philadelphia to Amsterdam was supposed to last 8 hours, but only took 6 and a half. When I arrived, I collected my luggage, rolled through Customs, and searched for the Burger King, where Geoff and I had agreed to meet. Thankfully, there was only one BK and it was easy to find. While waiting, I caught up on Jessica Simpson's professional and love life in this month's Glamour magazine (thanks to Lisa and Josh!), and listened to lots of Dutch conversations going on all around me.
When Geoff came, we had a bite at Illy Cafe, Geoff's favorite coffee place. I read the offerings, written neatly on the chalkboard: Croissant, boiled egg, pistole (baguette), ham and cheese, orange juice, milk.
"I want a croissant and an egg," I told Geoff.
"She'll have the Dutch Breakfast," he dutifully translated to the clerk in Dutch.
The clerk gave us two coffees (more like espressos in size and concentration), and said they would bring the food to the table. The tray she brough filled the entire table and contained not just croissant and a boiled egg, but every item written on the chalkboard. Geoff and I ate well.
Aaaaand, I failed to make adequate housing arrangements as should a responsible person, so Geoff and I took the train from Schipol Airport to Utrecht Centraal Station, to where I am currently living - Apollo Hotel. We dropped off the bags, took a stroll around the town. The roads are all cobble and are lined with trendy shops. There is a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic. Notably, fashionable women in stillettos whiz by on their bikes, holding an umbrella with one hand, and steering with the other. It is not uncommon to see one person riding the bike and another hitching a ride, sitting side-saddle on the rear rack (over the rear tire). The town is built around a series of canals, which makes for nice riverfront-dining and canal boat rides. The weather was supposed to be 81 and partly sunny, but the sky was dreary and it drizzled most of the day as we strolled.
I set up a local cell phone and then Geoff and I stopped for lunch at a small bakery called Bond en Smolders. (You don't need to read Dutch to see how tasty the bread and pastries are, but you can always translate the page with Google Translate). I got roasted chicken on wheat bread with arugula, tomatoes and cheese. I also enjoyed a popular Dutch mint tea - simply fresh mint sprigs steeped in hot water - very refreshing. The tea also came with a biscuit shaped like the "Dom", or cathedral, that is in the center of Utrecht. We visited the cathedral, where this unique cross was on display.

A word on the housing situation
My classmates Suzanne and Maggie arrived a few days ahead of me; yesterday Maggie found an apartment with two Dutch girls on Kamernet.nl, and Suzanne and I will be relocating to a more affordable hotel - above a Thai restaurant near Croeselaan - tomorrow after Orientation, until we find our own new roommates.
As many of you know, I have been attempting to sell my soul to get a room on Kamernet; it appears the Dutch aren't interested in souls. I'm hoping that being available to meet the roomies and landlords for an interview will make me more marketable. As I've learned over the past month or so, finding good housing in the Netherlands is like applying for a job. A Dutch friend helped me write up a biography, we selected (tasteful) pictures to post, and most advertisements require a group interview-like meeting called kikjavond. I've heard that each posting for a decent room on kamernet fetches over 300 responses!
Wish Suzanne and I "good luck"! Worst case, I have been offered a few nights on couches by nice friends of friends.
News:
My non-stop flight from Philadelphia to Amsterdam was supposed to last 8 hours, but only took 6 and a half. When I arrived, I collected my luggage, rolled through Customs, and searched for the Burger King, where Geoff and I had agreed to meet. Thankfully, there was only one BK and it was easy to find. While waiting, I caught up on Jessica Simpson's professional and love life in this month's Glamour magazine (thanks to Lisa and Josh!), and listened to lots of Dutch conversations going on all around me.
When Geoff came, we had a bite at Illy Cafe, Geoff's favorite coffee place. I read the offerings, written neatly on the chalkboard: Croissant, boiled egg, pistole (baguette), ham and cheese, orange juice, milk.
"I want a croissant and an egg," I told Geoff.
"She'll have the Dutch Breakfast," he dutifully translated to the clerk in Dutch.
The clerk gave us two coffees (more like espressos in size and concentration), and said they would bring the food to the table. The tray she brough filled the entire table and contained not just croissant and a boiled egg, but every item written on the chalkboard. Geoff and I ate well.
Aaaaand, I failed to make adequate housing arrangements as should a responsible person, so Geoff and I took the train from Schipol Airport to Utrecht Centraal Station, to where I am currently living - Apollo Hotel. We dropped off the bags, took a stroll around the town. The roads are all cobble and are lined with trendy shops. There is a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic. Notably, fashionable women in stillettos whiz by on their bikes, holding an umbrella with one hand, and steering with the other. It is not uncommon to see one person riding the bike and another hitching a ride, sitting side-saddle on the rear rack (over the rear tire). The town is built around a series of canals, which makes for nice riverfront-dining and canal boat rides. The weather was supposed to be 81 and partly sunny, but the sky was dreary and it drizzled most of the day as we strolled.
I set up a local cell phone and then Geoff and I stopped for lunch at a small bakery called Bond en Smolders. (You don't need to read Dutch to see how tasty the bread and pastries are, but you can always translate the page with Google Translate). I got roasted chicken on wheat bread with arugula, tomatoes and cheese. I also enjoyed a popular Dutch mint tea - simply fresh mint sprigs steeped in hot water - very refreshing. The tea also came with a biscuit shaped like the "Dom", or cathedral, that is in the center of Utrecht. We visited the cathedral, where this unique cross was on display.
Tomorrow, the girls and I have Orientation at the law school, and hopefully will have time to look for an apartment and a bicycle.
A word on the housing situation
My classmates Suzanne and Maggie arrived a few days ahead of me; yesterday Maggie found an apartment with two Dutch girls on Kamernet.nl, and Suzanne and I will be relocating to a more affordable hotel - above a Thai restaurant near Croeselaan - tomorrow after Orientation, until we find our own new roommates.
As many of you know, I have been attempting to sell my soul to get a room on Kamernet; it appears the Dutch aren't interested in souls. I'm hoping that being available to meet the roomies and landlords for an interview will make me more marketable. As I've learned over the past month or so, finding good housing in the Netherlands is like applying for a job. A Dutch friend helped me write up a biography, we selected (tasteful) pictures to post, and most advertisements require a group interview-like meeting called kikjavond. I've heard that each posting for a decent room on kamernet fetches over 300 responses!
Wish Suzanne and I "good luck"! Worst case, I have been offered a few nights on couches by nice friends of friends.
Comments
sounds like you're off to a great start. have fun!