Pauline bids NL farewell

September 26, 2009

Pauline got up early without me, and went to the center to get a haircut (haircuts are one of her favorite souvenirs). It looks really cute – French bangs. When she came back, we grabbed her now-stuffed luggage and headed to Amsterdam.

They have a clever system for lockers at the train station: You put your stuff in, close the door. The computer senses which locker it is, you swipe your credit card, and it prints you a ticket without charging you anything. You keep your ticket, and leave your stuff (even overnight or for days, as Suzanne did when we were hotel-hopping in the beginning). When you retrieve your luggage, you merely scan the ticket, the locker pops open, and your card is charged according to the number of days you stayed. The lockers are clean and huge. Really convenient also. Pauline and I wondered if something like this could work in America, or be prevented for fear of dangerous things being stored.



(a bike parking deck at Amsterdam Centraal Station, Seattle-esque boathouse on a canal that was an animal shelter, Pauline and I on the canal tour).

We went to the last few shops that Pauline wanted to see, including the Condomerie, a cute stop. We couldn’t resist a final bowl of wonton duck noodle soup on Zeedijk, and met up with Geoff. We took the train to the airport, saw Pauline off with biggggg hugs and kisses, and plopped back onto the train to spend some time together in Amsterdam unwinding.

Geoff and I went to the Spui and had a few beers and really relaxed. After running around all week, it was nice to have no plans for the evening. When we got tired, we got on the same train to go home, even though he was going to Amersfoort and I to Utrecht. On the train, I got a text from some friends I made on the Erasmus Day, and invited Geoff to come for drinks in Utrecht. Vi met up with us also, at the Winkel van Sinkel, and it became a night out!

At home finally, we stuffed ourselves with some french fries and just rehashed the week and the evening. I happened to glance down at Geoff’s computer screen while we chatted.

Me: My computer is still on US time. What time zone is your computer set to – where is it 4:30 in the morning?
Geoff: It’s 4:30 in the morning here, Cat.

I was shocked. It felt like only a few hours had passed since we dropped Pauline off at 5:00 PM and now it was bedtime. BYE PAULINE. . . . love and miss you.

(In Dubai, May 2008)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels