Orientation Day II & Housing Interview


At the Little Siam, we had a choice of several different breakfasts to be delivered to our room: three were variations of bread and cheese. The last option was a sight for sore eyes – instant noodles, or mi goi, my favorite guilty pleasure for breakfasts and late-nights after partying. Even if jet-lag weren’t keeping me up all night, I’d be up all night waiting for the noodles to come. At 9AM, I enjoyed this wonderful breakfast, with a great view of Balijelaan.



Then Suzanne and I left for the orientation at the main campus of Utrecht University – in the Uithof (“out-hoff”). We met Maggie at the train station and tried to sit down for a quick lunch, but we realized while we were perusing our menus at a Parisian sandwich shop in Centraal Station, that the orientation began at 14:30 and it was already 14:00. So, in order to account for the ever-important wandering-around-lost time (again, approximately 10 minutes), we ditched our table, and grabbed some broodjes at a stand on the way down to the buses.


We took the bus to the Uithof, wandered for only about 5 minutes, and came in (about 20 minutes late) to the Orientation for all international students – not just law students. There are about 250 law students in the Utrecht campus in the “city centre”; there are about 1000 international students altogether, of various “faculties”/areas of study. We received much of the same information, but we also received information on how to register for our residence permits (national), as well as our city registration (local). This will occur September 18, and requires a lot of document compilation. Fortunately, our school had us mail many of the documents into the national office before we arrived. All I have left to include is a copy of a lease . . . which would require having a lease. . . right. . . :)


So, after orientation, Maggie needed to go to the library, and Suzanne and I hesitated for a while, but ultimately decided to visit SSH – student housing corporation. They own a tremendous amount of property in Utrecht – I believe it is not just one person, but more like a real estate investment trust or something similar. Although they are not part of the University, there is a very close affiliation, and nearly all the students studying at the University can attempt to find housing here.


(During preparation for the trip, there were several single and double apartments available at SSH online. However, at my own fault, my delay in reserving the rooms caused them to slip through my fingers! The remaining options were dorms – eight in a room, and sharing one bathroom. Not to be too picky, but I think I might be too old for that!)


Anyway, so Suzanne went in and simply asked, “I’m hoping to find a room. Can you tell me what’s available?” Within seven minutes, she was signing a lease! This was the happiest I have seen Suzanne since we arrived :) Unfortunately, it was one of the last apartments even remotely close to the city, so I just re-committed to Kamernet.


This night, I had my very first interview. It was for a great place, and good price! The guy emailed me, stating that many people had been rejected for the ad, but I was in the final four, so I should come. It was like a blind date: I was nervous, I didn’t know what to wear. Should I wear makeup? Should I be casual, fun, professional? Instead of calling a Dutch friend to get advice, I dressed nice-ish, put on a little make-up, and decided I would act not-too-eager. Importantly, I decided to bring stroopwaffel as a gift / bribe (literally, syrup waffles. . . pizelles with maple butter in between. It sounds good to me, and it tastes even better!).


The street my appointment was on is perpendicular to one of many canals. As I approached the street, there was this lovely windmill, which also had lots of farm animals and what appeared to be a school building. As in Seattle, there were boathouses along the water; it looked like such a great place. There was also a small, colorful playground directly across from the house I viewed.



When I arrived, the owner explained that the chosen lessee would mostly have the house to themselves, as the other roommate works a lot and spends nights and weekends at his girlfriend’s house. There was a nice kitchen, and the room was furnished. It was perfect. We had great conversation about SCUBA, cooking, and traveling. His girlfriend was also there, and very pleasant. I thought it went well, but I wasn’t sure how these interviews were supposed to be exactly.


The next day, I received a phone call from the owner, saying he had chosen someone else. After speaking with Arjan (whom in retrospect I should have called for advice in advance), I learned that I need to be more direct, per Dutch culture. I should have said, without being pushy, “I really need a place, I’m in hotels now, and this place is so perfectly convenient to my school.” Then, perhaps I would have been chosen, but alas I am back on the hunt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels