Christmas Deliciousness

December 25, 2008



Two new Nguyen-family Christmas traditions - Chinese fighting movies and Christmas Story. Awesome!

I have completely enjoyed my Vietnamese-style Christmas. In past years, Dad always tried to give us an all-American experience, I think. Ham, complete buffet of sides, rolls (that no one ever ate since the rice cooker was right there - duh), turkey. We ate this for days and days, and loved the many creative uses for the leftovers. But deep down, I'm pretty sure we also rejoiced when the last tupperware was emptied onto a plate, popped into the nuker, and gone forever - and we could look forward to basking in the nostalgic essence of a fresh pot of mom's famous pho.

This year, Mom and I just took it easy, and are both thoroughly satisfied: for breakfast, we had claypot pork with boiled eggs, stew of bittermelon stuffed with glass noodles, pork and wood ear mushrooms. For lunch, rice congee with shrimp and pork, and fried dough. Heavenly. These aren't my photos, but this was exactly what the food looks like.


It's been a long year, but nothing that can't be healed with time, loving family, and soul food. Merry Christmas everyone, and to all a good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels