Best Weekend Ever - Saturday - Geoff's House Party on Kimball

July 12, 2008

Chris crashed at my place.* He had requested my famous fluffy omelettes, but Mary Beth and I had plans for brunch, in line with my plan to see all possible friends in a three-day span. At 10:30A, I promptly kicked him off the couch, and had a simple and delicious Mexican brunch with MB in Mt. Airy. When we could finally shut up, we parted ways so she could study Civ Pro II, and I could go meet Upstairs Chris (not to be confused with Original Chris, from tapas/couch).

The weather was getting pretty oppressive already, and the drum circle Upstairs Chris had invited me to sounded iffy at this point, but it was only down the street, and in my favorite 'hood - Chestnut Hill. The drum circle was the most fun thing of the weekend. The man running it, Ron, had many different types of drums, which we all were invited to try.

Chris came in like a man walking into his own home. He brought his own African drum (djembe), and a home-made didgeridoo (aka a remarkably large PVC pipe), which I failed in playing. Just the thought of me trying to play the didge is giving me the giggles. I have to admit that the music we made, a random collection of strangers and passersby, along with some kids who got a few precious minutes of parent-approved noise-making, was pretty impressive.



I had never done anything like that before, and was surprised how naturally our bodies pick up rhythm. Eventually I was comfortable enough to wander off into complementary beats, be the accent note, or drop out completely and just listen. I found that, while I played, I could look around and think about my surroundings or the music, but that engaging in any speech was impossible, and I liked that talking was automatically ruled out. An hour and a half passed like fifteen minutes. Chris and I hugged goodbyes, and I walked away feeling so relaxed, stimulated, and balanced. It wouldn't have been that good at a spa.

Next on the list, a Chinatown jewelry shop for MK's christening gift - a chain and cross, "just like the ones we used to wear," Chi Trinh said. It was a quick trip, and gave me just enough time to squeeze a nap in before the big bash - Geoff's going-away party. In trend, he is moving to another country. While Steve and I remain in disagreement about moving abroad, I enjoy celebrating other people's romantic departures, whether for a job, grad school, or love.

The night certainly brought back the appeal of drunken debauchery. In the gayborhood with some of the most beautiful (and outrageous) people of Philadelphia, I had another long night that was quite enjoyable. Although I haven't seen him in some time, Geoff remains in my top ten, and always makes me feel like the Guest of Honor. Tonight was no exception. His friends were great company, conversation was good, and they were suckers for the shutter. Consequently, there was an extensive photo shoot.

(Ridiculous, yet ridiculously entertaining!)

*Haven't said that about anyone in a long time. For a while now, we've all seemed to prefer the comforts of our own bed and belongings, to someone else's guest room and/or couch. Considering that sleep-space alternatives used to be a toss-up of questionable futons and bare sticky floors, alcohol - or at least eves of drunken debauchery - must have become less appealing to us in our old age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels