Singing People Always Smile
This year is the largest class of TUJ students, coming in at a whopping 88 eager gaijin (foreigners) from 43 different states. We learned about the two-building campus, housed non-traditionally in the lower levels of commercial business buildings in the Mita. Professor Wilson and the staff told us about finding apartments, the apparent groping problem on the Japanese subway systems (which has led to "Women Only" cars during rush hour, when the cars are most crowded, and a groper might be most tempted to strike), the dangers of the nightlife district (including the Japanese mafia's influence in a night life district called Roppongi - several past TUJ students had been drugged, robbed, and even visited by the mafia after canceling an unauthorized credit card charge made by a stolen credit card!).
The stories were hilarious because they were unbelievable, but we got the message about carrying identification, the advantages and disadvantages of being a gaijin in Japan, and how being distinguished in appearance or behavior might increase the odds of an encounter with the Japanese police, who have little to do since crime is so scarce in Japan.
Stepping out of Shibuya station, a few of us finally saw the Tokyo we had been imaging all this time. Tons of people rushed into the station from the many streets that converged before us, electronic advertisements and billboards blinded us like a hyped-up Times Square. It was everything every movie had ever portrayed, complete with natives dressed as Pokemon and cows, and people giving Free Hugs.
We made our way to the karaoke bar through all Shibuya's neon splendor, and had a wonderful night. After pouting and doubting a JPY 3660 two-hour all-you-can-drink karaoke session, I reluctantly filed into the tiny private karaoke room, where we hoped to discover the true vocal talent in the program (to no avail). Although the approximate $30 to drink and sing seemed really high to me on this ridiculously tight Japan budget, I sucked it up and immediately knew I had made the right decision when we walked out of the elevator, onto the "Mermaid floor", down the hallway with strange bubbled-out windows on private rooms, and into a near- exact replica of the Lost in Translation karaoke scene. Beer pitchers came three at a time, and the songs came in repeats of at least three until we learned how to use the controller. There was even an unofficial tambourine contest. Congrats to the winner, Hickory (who is from Seattle).
Erin, Christine, and I worked hard to get back to the hotel before 1AM,
trying not to be the gaijin sleeping on the street outside our hotel. We waited in a cab queue, got dropped off at the subway Station, picked up JPY 105 snacks on the way back to the Inn at the convenient store, and prayed the hotel doors would not be locked.
We learned a few things about our temporary housing: our hotel does not really lock its doors at 1AM as stated on the check-in sheet; the JR Yamanote Line to Tokyo stops short of Tamachi Station (our station) at Shinagawa at around 12:30AM; the blue line in Shinagawa that usually stops next in Tamachi does not make that route after 12:30AM.
I'm happy to report that I have made a few buddies - a good group that I hope to see more of, even if it means a lot more ridiculous tambourine contests, horrible renditions of American favorites, and paying for the cab ride home. Hopefully, though, it will involve more shochi. Classes start tomorrow - I have Introduction to International Contract Drafting at 5PM. Before then, I hope to register in a ward office, find permanent housing on this shoestring budget, do some reading, and get some sleep.
PS - I think I have a new motto:
Comments