Family (Dad's bypass surgery)
January 25, 2008
This week has been a little crazy - not just because of all the trips with school and school work, but because my dad is having bypass surgery as I type this entry. There were a few scares this week, since he had a heart attack last week, and has not been stable enough for surgery until today, due to excess fluid in the lungs. After about five hours on the table, Joe has just messaged me that they are patching things up, and that he'll be out of the operating room soon.
It was really difficult to be in another country during an event that is unprecedented in my immediate family. Probably the worst part was that my internet phone setup wasn't working properly, and email is all I had for a while. The last time either of my parents were in the hospital, we were still pretty young. I think, in an effort to get us cleaned up for visiting my mom, my sister cut a piece of Joe's ear off while giving him a haircut! It has made me realize how much our family (extended included) cares about each other, what a close bunch we are, and how frustrating emails can be when you just want to hear a familiar voice.
It's hard to see your parents grow older, and hard when you cannot help make them more comfortable. But it sure made me glad that we spent this Christmas together.
After a lot of days of worrying, I decided to fly home this weekend. I will leave Saturday and return Wednesday. While I will be missing some classes and spending some unplanned money, it just seems like the only thing that will settle all my worries. Thanks for all your thoughts and support.
Comments