Konnichiwa - First Entry
September 2, 2007
This is my attempt to act my technological age, and share the process of preparing to study abroad in Japan, en bloc, instead of via snail-mail notes and letters, individual phone calls, or risky mass emails, where there is always the threat of the endless Reply All.
It's true. I am 24 and I have only left the United States to visit our northern neighbor, or to island-hop and cruise the Caribbean. In good ol' American fashion, all I have to say is, "I want more." I want to see more of the world, and I want to learn more about what I see. I want to eat more food, hear more music in more languages, learn more about the global economy, and see more beyond the superpower that is America. Why not just study these things right here at home? Well, apparently, because I want to pay more, too.
Tokyo is the world's fourth most expensive city to live in, after Seoul, London, and Moscow. (In case you were wondering, New York and L.A. actually are completely affordable, coming it at 15th and 42nd. I guess if we were more worldly, we would have never made such a commotion about Kozlowski's $6,000 shower curtain).
My law school, Temple University in Philadelphia, is the only law school with its own campus and an American Bar Association-approved program abroad. Temple University Japan (TUJ) is the oldest and largest Foreign University in Japan, and swaps faculty and students, awarding all graduates a Temple University degree. Each year, about 80 students from a variety of American universities come to TUJ to study International Law. All classes are offered in the evening, to allow time for studying, working at Japanese law firms, or traveling the country.
If all goes according to plan, I will be arriving in Tokyo in January 2008 and staying through the beginning of May. I am currently in the overwhelming and lengthy process of sifting out the details of taking classes and possibly working in Japan, the living situation, and preparation logistically, financially, and emotionally.
This is where my well-traveled (and well-loved) family and friends hop on board. Please share your advice and comments!
Comments
i find it awesome.
japan!!what an adventure!!!
eyy if i ask you for a special photo... could you take it fo me?
e.g.: i saw your little appartment, and it looks like a boat room.. but.. the view from the balcony? how is it? could you take a pic of the wiew from your balcony? please!!!
keep in touch