2nd Entry in the Japan Study Abroad Blog

September 9, 2007

Was this my first entry, where I was asking for help paying for study abroad?

There are a lot of question marks about the Japan semester, and I am just starting to sort them all out. Last week I turned in the Seat Reservation Form and deposit of $200. I had a meeting with the Office of International Studies about internships and scholarships, and got very useful information. And for the last month and a half, I have been frisking the web for the answers to my most frequently asked questions. Here are my biggest concerns, and what I have so far:


PAYING FOR IT
Including tuition, fees, and housing, a semester in the world's largest metropolitan area and second largest economy is estimated to cost an American TUJ student $25,000. Therefore, while the opportunity is distinctive, funding it is a challenge.

In an effort to raise the parts of the $25,000 that will not be covered by school loans, I am working as a Research Assistant for the widely published and accomplished international legal scholar, Henry Richardson III, who is also my International Law professor this semester. This summer, I worked with the Prof to write an article on economic rights as enforced by the South African Constitutional Court. Currently, we are putting finishing touches on a book he wrote about early African-American interests in International Law, including a very interesting perspective on the framing of the Constitution.

Also, there are very competitive scholarships offered to assist a small number of students. My bid for that scholarship will include the best essay of my life!


GETTING PAID IN JAPAN
I also hope to work for a Japanese law firm in Japan, to supplement the savings I will have from my Research employment this semester. According to Prof Matt Wilson, the TUJ guru, 60 out of 80 students were interested in an internship in 2006, and 40 of them received such an opportunity. After a bit more research, I found that a much smaller percentage were internships with renumeration (probably about 10% were paid). Since the Japanese law firms exclusively accept student resumes through the University and consider it quite inappropriate to be directly approached by students, I am at the mercy of the Office of International Programs for this one. However, I am researching the firms in and around Minato-ku, the area TUJ is located, and studying hard to get competitive grades.



AFFORDABLE LIVING IN JAPAN

I am determined to make that seeming-oxymoron synonymous with my housing arrangement in Tokyo. Traditional housing in Japan is much smaller than American living spaces. Apartment buildings actually distinguish whether they are meant to accommodate traditional or foreign residents, since a foreigner might be very disappointed to find out that conveniences like large common areas, dishwashers, and washers and dryers, are not typically included in Japanese residences. The research I've done is preliminary.

For students, it seems like the best options are dormitories (which even TUJ admits can be pricier than other options) and gaijin houses ("foreigner houses"). These are like long-term hostels, where month-to-month rental is available for use of a private room and common space shared by several residents, usually in a "mansion" or high-rise. Prices start from about Y20,000 (about USD175) per month. In Minato-ku apartments start at Y120,000 (USD1,000).
I must investigate a happy medium.


WHICH COURSES TO TAKE
I am currently taking International Law, Evidence, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, and Pennsylvania Civil Procedure. In Japan, we are required to take Introduction to Japanese Law. The remainder of our 13-15 credits are elective, from a vast list.
Last spring and this summer, I took property law-related classes, and can't seem to get enough. I look forward to Trust & Estates, and International Contracts. Hopefully, during this semester's International Law class I can get a little more exposure and develop some favorite international law areas.


KEEPING IN TOUCH
Weblogs, email, phone cards, GSM cell phones, GoogleChat, facebook. Along with the many ways to disseminate the details of my Japanese life, I plan to use Skype's VoIP service while there, which I think is significantly inexpensive compared to getting a new cell phone and phone cards. Like everything else, though, I am still looking into options.


As you can see, there is a lot to consider for this big trip. I know that, with your support and much more research, all will be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby List!

Lots of Walking - An American in Tokyo

Tiffany Weddings and Camels